American public multinational corporation Qualcomm sent invitations to tech journalists, bloggers, reviewers, and YouTubers for their virtual Tech Summit 2020.
This fueled the flame of rumors going around about the speculated launch of the new industry-leading processors.
According to the rumors,
Qualcomm was about to announce two of their new chipsets namely Snapdragon 875(successor of Snapdragon 865) & Snapdragon 775(successor of Snapdragon 765), similar to last year’s Tech Summit following their patters of launch events.
But instead in the launch event,
Qualcomm surprised everyone by going against the rumors of launching two processors and went solely for their new flagship processor for the upcoming year.
Qualcomm Snapdragon 888
(changing their flagship name from 875 to 888, celebrating 8 years of the immensely popular and successful series)
A brief overview
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 888 is packed up with a 3rd generation Snapdragon X60 5G Modem-RF, rather than Snapdragon X55 used in its predecessor. This means enabled global compatibility by offering mmWave and Sub-6 worldwide across all major bands. It also has the support for 5G carrier aggregation, global multi-SIM, standalone, non-standalone, and dynamic spectrum sharing.
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 888 has a 5nm processor, which means about 20-25% more transistors. Resulting in it’s much higher and more efficient performance.
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 888 also has a slightly different architecture, when compared to previous generations Snapdragon 865 or 865+
- The prime core in Snapdragon 865+ essentially used to be an over-clocked ARM Cortex-A77, then 3 more ARM Cortex-A77 cores with a comparatively lower clock speed, and the rest used to be efficiency cores(ARM Cortex-A55).
- But in Qualcomm Snapdragon 888, the prime core has ARM Cortex-X1 clocked at an amazingly 2.84 GHz. Rest three processors constitute of ARM Cortex-A78, clocked at 2.4 GHz. While keeping the rest of the 4 efficiency cores the same as the previous ones,i.e. ARM Cortex-A55 clocked at 1.8 GHz.
- The performance boost in the new chipset would be anywhere around 25% higher than it’s predecessor.
- While in the GPU(Graphics Processing Units) department, the new chipset gives a massive boost of 35% faster graphics rendering.
- Also 20% more power efficiency is promised with the new chipset.
- Some Display Enhancements have also been mentioned such as OLED Display Uniformity, Picture Quality Improvements, and Demura & Sub-Pixel Rendering.
- It even supports Wifi 6 and 6e & Bluetooth 5.2
- In today’s smartphone market, the most important feature after the performance is imaging(camera supports, picture quality, etc). And considering the same, Qualcomm introduced a chipset with triple ISP(Image Signal Processing). In a nutshell, ISP is responsible for converting a picture from the camera sensor into a digital format.
- And Snapdragon 888, having a triple ISP is even capable of taking 120 pictures of 12MP(Mega Pixel) in just 1sec. It has a speed of 2.7 GigaPixels per second, which is approx 35% faster than last year’s processor.
- These days AI is just taking over everything, so it is also a very important element. And yet again when compared to Snapdragon 865, the new flagship can perform more than double TOPS(Trillion Operations per second).
Official Benchmark Scores
Qualcomm has released benchmark scores of Snapdragon 888, which is set to power a variety of premium and mid-range handsets in 2021.
The scores cover select industry benchmarks testing systems including CPU, GPU, and AI use cases.
Without any doubt, Qualcomm’s new flagship Snapdragon 888, is a worth successor in every parameter. And is going to revolutionize the smartphone industry as well as the experience of users.
Tech giant from china Xiaomi already confirmed and announced that their upcoming MI 11 will probably be the first flagship to inherit and use the power and performance of Snapdragon 888.
Also companies like Realme, OnePlus, OPPO, and other OEMs have confirmed to launch phones with Snapdragon 888 SoC soon.