Many guys are wondering what is the best IDE for working with java. Here we came up with the list of five best java IDE’s.
It is one of the most used Java IDE’s even though it supports other languages. It mainly focused on Java and C / C++ development. It is an open-source IDE and free. Eclipse is compatible with all kinds of operating systems like Windows, Linux, and Mac OS. It also supports Git, Maven, Gradle, Apache Maven. We can also run the Apache tomcat server in the eclipse itself.
Eclipse is mainly known for its debugging tools and the extended support for plugins. It provides support for users to make their plugin. It also provides customizability, GUI building, reporting, etc. Eclipse uses a custom compiler which sometimes gives it an edge over the normal Java compiler.
- Debugging is very easy in eclipse.
- Eclipse provides exceptional modeling support for UML, SysML, etc. based projects.
- Git and Maven integration
- Builds projects whenever you open the eclipse. This consumes a lot of time when you have multiple projects in the Workspace
Applications can be developed using modules that are a set of modular software components while using the Netbeans platform. Third-party developers can extend applications developed using the Netbeans platform or Netbeans IDE itself. There are many numbers of modules in the NetBeans IDE. One of them is Netbeans profiler for monitoring Java applications is mostly used to find memory leaks, optimize speed, and do a lot more.
- NetBeans is best for developing GUI application as it provides drag and drops for UI Components
- It supports version control like Git and Mercurial etc
- Consume more memory when a large project is executed in the IDE
- NetBeans has limited support as it doesn’t come with any professional support
IntelliJ IDEA provides a comprehensive feature set including tools and integrations with the most important modern technologies and frameworks for enterprise and web development with Java, Scala, Groovy, and other languages. It provides support for android application development(Android Studio). IntelliJ supports many frameworks and its very sleek.
After IntelliJ IDEA has indexed your source code, it offers a blazing fast and intelligent experience by giving relevant suggestions in every context: instant and clever code completion, on-the-fly code analysis, and reliable refactoring tools. Mission-critical tools such as integrated version control systems and a wide variety of supported languages and frameworks are all to hand — no plugin hassle included. It differentiates each file with special icons. Code linting is when compared to other java IDE’s
It also supports integrated terminal, version control systems, and debugging, etc.,
- UI is very intuitive and far better than the others.
- Code highlighting and tagging of variables is worth considering.
- IDE itself consumes a large amount of main memory.
BlueJ is an integrated development environment (IDE) for the Java programming language, It has been mainly developed for educational purposes, but also suitable for those who wish to do small-scale software development.
It runs with the help of a JDK(Java Development Kit). BlueJ is mainly developed for the teaching of object-oriented programming, and its design differs from other development environments as a result.
- For educational purpose, diagrammatic representations are an easy way to understand
- Not suitable for a bigger and commercial project
Visual Studio Code
Well, VS code is not a dedicated Java IDE, but it can be transformed into a lightweight and productive java editor with the use of extension packages. I love VS code for the fact that it is absolutely simple to use, lightweight, ergonomically designed for ease of development and is free.
There are many extensions available to customize the VS Code for Java development, some of the popular names include Maven for Java, Spring Boot Tools, TomCAt, Jetty, CheckStyle, Spring Initializr, Debugger, TestRenner and many more.
- It does provide many extensions suitable for java debugging and linting
- It is not worthwhile developing Enterprise projects because managing dependencies are headache compared to other java IDE’s
So here was our list of Best Java IDE’S. Also read : The Best meditation apps