Determining the right screen capture tool (Snagit vs Greenshot) can be a task, especially when various options are available in the market. Here, we have bought two of the best third-party screen capture tools for Windows and macOS namely they are Snagit and Greenshot.
Although both have identical features and workflow, certain options, OUI (outmoded user interface) but the pricing makes them different. If you are already using Greenshot which is free and are open-source, here we are about to find out if it is worth buying Snagit @ $50.
Snagit vs Greenshot
Table of Contents
- Snagit vs Greenshot
- Screen Capture Options : Snagit vs Greenshot
- Screen Recording : Snagit vs Greenshot
- Image Editor: Snagit vs Greenshot
- Video Editor: Snagit vs Greenshot
- Custom Templates: Snagit vs Greenshot
- App Integrations: Snagit vs Greenshot
- Learning for Beginners: Snagit vs Greenshot
- Pricing: Snagit vs Greenshot
- Final words to say
If you need an all-in-one screen capture software and wondering about any extra options whom you are getting for $50 with Snagit, you might be surprised. Here we are going to distinguish about the key differences to help you make up your mind.
Screen Capture Options : Snagit vs Greenshot
Both of these softwares have similar options to capture a screenshot of any application window or the entire screen. However, two features are missing in Greenshot that are available in Snagit.
- Snagit has an option to delay the screen capture or in other words, it is possible to press the Print Screen bbutton now and capture the screenshot automatically after a specific time.
- And on the other hand, Snagit allows you to apply visual effects to the captured screenshots directly by using saved presets. You don’t have to open the image editing panel and apply the effects manually. Presets can include a border around the image, cropped to a preset size and manage edges, and all automatically.
- It also allows the users to capture text from images using OCR seamlessly. While Greenshot also allows you to do this but the process could be little bit complicated and relies on a plugin and add-on from Microsoft.
Screen Recording : Snagit vs Greenshot
Well, Snagit wins the battle without any question since Greenshot doesn’t even allow you to record the screen. Greenshot is a screen capture tool only and that is it! Besides, Snagit has a dedicated panel to manage the screen recording options. It is possible to record webcam, system audio, and microphones with the help of Snagit.
Image Editor: Snagit vs Greenshot
If you are looking for basic image editing features then Greenshot is more than enough. Snagit goes deeper in every way and has more granular control over editing. From adding text to chat bubble to creating video from images, here you can find a lot more options everywhere in Snagit.
Video Editor: Snagit vs Greenshot
While Greenshot doesn’t have any screen recording feature. However, Snagit comes with a video editing window which is similar to its image editing panel which allows you to do basic editing even if you are a noob. The highlight of the video editor is that it is possible to create a GIF or any animated photo by using images.
Custom Templates: Snagit vs Greenshot
This one is another area where Snagit outperforms Greenshot. Greenshot does not get any custom templates while Snagit offers it thereby boosting productivity. Here you can use templates to create beautiful images with your captured screenshots.
App Integrations: Snagit vs Greenshot
While Greenshot is free to use, it does offer some handy app integrations which allow you to quickly share or upload a screenshot to cloud storage or on other applications. However, as Snagit is more advanced than Greenshot here you will find some modern apps like Slack, Twitter, Screencast.com, Sharepoint and etc. Besides, Greenshot is limited to Imgur.com, outlook, Word, Powerpoint, Microsoft Paint, and other traditional applications.
Learning for Beginners: Snagit vs Greenshot
As we know, both screen capture tools have so many options and features, it might take some time to learn everything for a beginner. But, both of the companies have detailed manuals to help you to get started with capturing screens.
Pricing: Snagit vs Greenshot
Snagit will cost you around $50 while Greenshot is available for free and is open-source. Greenshot will asks for money $1.99 only when you try to download it on macOS. Snagit works on both Windows OS and on macOS.
Final words to say
Snagit vs Greenshot are Both the softwares that have similar features so we cannot say that one is better than the other without remembering about the pricing. But overall we consider all the features Snagit is a better option to use but it also costs a lot more while Greenshot is free to use. But overall, it depends upon you what you would prefer to use according to your need.
If you have any query regarding the above stuff then please let us know in the comment box.